Monday, July 29, 2013

Ann Katz - "Dogs Best Friend"



          The question was raised on our first day in the blue waters of the Sea of Cortez. “What if we actually see whales? And what if they’re not in the distance, but really, really close?”
          “Just tap the sides of the double kayak. The whales will sense where you are by the vibrations. Not to worry.”
          “Not to worry? Not to worry? For the next six days Ann paddled and I tapped, then I paddled and Ann tapped. I guess we got a pretty good rhythm going because sure enough a whale fin waved to us not 20 yards ahead of our kayak!
          There may have been a lot of laughter on that adventure, albeit nervous, but the memories are long lasting and fun to recall and a lifelong friendship was sealed in spite of miles and miles of separation.
 
Ann Katz
Ann Katz

I was fortunate to injure my knee on a University of Texas ski trip 40 years ago. After the cast was removed, I went to physical therapy. After that, I changed my college major for the last time. 
I love being a physical therapist. I am allowed to enter the lives of people when they’re most vulnerable and I’m given permission to treat them physically and emotionally. I have to admit that usually there’s not much of a challenge in transforming them into more productive and happier people, but I so love to help. And I learn from these people, especially the seniors. 
Over the years I have met and treated people who interviewed Amelia Earhart, talked with Eleanor Roosevelt, and can tell stories about many other well-known people. One gentleman was involved in counting election votes in Texas and was present when LBJ captured his Texas Senate seat (when he had a 20,000 vote deficit through fraud in the 1940's - counting votes of the deceased). And then there were the clients who were captured by the Japanese in WW2.
I’ve been fortunate to have become friends with many of my nonagenarian patients.

I have two grown sons who it was my pleasure to raise. When they were in college ten years ago, I felt a need to prevent them from becoming "boomerang children," not because they each required an induced labor, but to make sure they knew I had expectations that they could be successful, and not return home. 
I sat them down and told them, "This is my house. It is not your house."  The look they gave me was one of betrayal. I explained that I knew once they graduated from college, they would find a job, support themselves and "make their own home." I guess it worked, as they never moved back to Austin and never asked for financial help. 
In fact, Josh, my 30-year-old moved to Japan where he met his bride. They currently live in the San Francisco area. My 28-year-old, Ross is very grounded and will be successful in anything he puts his mind to, including finding a nice wife like his brother.

My third passion includes animals. I am involved in animal rescue and nature, which is where I had the opportunity to meet the greatest comedienne, Rebecca Redshaw.*  I have never laughed as hard and as long as the week I spent kayaking and camping with Rebecca in the Sea of Cortez.  Her rendition of rat races around our tent never ceases to bring a smile on my face.  Thank you for these memories, Rebecca.

Blogger Disclaimer: I make no claims to be a comedienne, but we did giggle at the field mice (not rats!), and the sand storms, and about everything else that tickled our fancy on a very fun whale watching/kayak vacation! 
 
  1. Who are you?  List 5 nouns that define you!  
Animal-lover – Nature-lover – Friend – Mother – Worrier

2. What have you done that you’re most proud of?

Raising two wonderful young men.

    3. If you could change one thing in your past, what would it be?

I wouldn't change anything.  I have tried to learn from my mistakes and have become stronger from many incidents. 

    4. On a personal level, what drives you crazy? What gives you joy?

People who act irresponsibly: those who have children, but aren't competent to raise them, those who do not wear helmets on motorcycles, those with no car, home, or health insurance and expect the government to rescue them, drivers who feel entitled to drive recklessly despite the lives that are at stake, and when I sound like my father.  :-)

I feel joy on a sunny day, when I wake up face to face with my terrier who proceeds to wag her tail, when I work, when I hear from my sons, when I see rolling hills and lakes and blooming plants, and day-dreaming. I feel joy when I am playing tennis, walking, and kayaking. I feel joy almost all the time.

    5. Given no restrictions (i.e. money/physical capabilities) –
        what would you most like to do?   

I would like to magically help my sons find a career that is meaningful to them.  But, we are not talking magic, plus we know that they must learn from their mistakes like we did.

I would provide free spay/neuter throughout the world to control overpopulation and buy acreage in every state and hire committed and capable people to supervise and care for homeless animals. This would provide employment, and an opportunity to take care of those in need, as well receive the love of animals. Convicts could begin this process while incarcerated, and children in poverty would have summer scholarships.

Ann was treated to lunch on her 60th by her 92 year old patient/friend.



 Ann, her sons, and family members

      
          Ann's favorite sites to help save animals:

There are so many worthy rescue sites.  
In Austin, we have Austin Pets Alive  http://www.austinpetsalive.org/ and the Austin Humane Society  http://www.austinhumanesociety.org/ which NEVER kills adoptable pets.
Most of my local donations go to: Emancipet http://www.emancipet.org/ because they actually help eliminate the cause of overpopulation by providing free and sliding scale neutering and spaying.

1 comment:

  1. Nice commentary! I too have 2 grown sons; know the issue of careers. Both are quite successful in their work and in their marriages. It is the second that is important to me most of all.

    I understand the frustration of people with kids who act irresponsibly - it's the kids who ultimately pay for this, and so unfair to them.

    ReplyDelete