Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Bunny Cornwall - Just Getting Started



 I first met Bunny Cornwall years ago when I entered Zenzizi, her retail store filled with wonderful items from her travels to India and Thailand. Amidst all these exotic items was a stunning, tall blond who quickly erased any preconceived notion of physical beauty in lieu of intelligence. Bunny encompassed, and encompasses, both.

She told me how she traveled solo to Indian towns (which is no easy feat) demanding the products she purchased for the states be manufactured in safe working conditions with fair wages (a concept that should be emulated and adopted by other businesses).

The pictures Bunny sent for “Taking the Plunge” illustrate her flair for style and a bit of her sense of humor. However, the camera can’t capture her sensitivity to others, her search for knowledge, or her connection with the human spirit.






Bunny Cornwall

I was talking with a cousin the other day. I haven’t seen her for thirty- something years. After reintroducing ourselves and catching up, her comment to me was “You do so many things. You’ve just done it all, Bunny.”  
Here are some of the things I have done and places I have been and I am by no means done yet!

I was born in Connecticut, the middle child with an older brother and a younger sister. After leaving home at an early age, I started collecting and selling antiques and having fun decorating my own space and I modeled where I styled my own sets. I worked for Bittersweet Herb Farm doing R&D and became National Sales Manager traveling around the country.

After spending two winters in the Florida Keys, I moved to St Croix USVI for twelve years. I continued to model, acted in television commercials, and worked on sailboats and occasional restaurant work. I met my sweet husband in St Croix and decided what I wanted to be when I grew up. We moved back to the States.

I graduated from massage therapy school in Gainesville, Florida and after settling in Port Angeles, WA with my husband, opened my own business, Olympic Day Spa.  I expanded my one person practice to include skin care. I started a clothing line that I had manufactured in India. I traveled to India and Thailand for several years growing the business to include jewelry and furniture and works of art.

I have always had an active lifestyle and feel it is important to take care of the mind, body, and spirit, so I also teach fitness classes at our local YMCA.

I take great pleasure in helping friends and acquaintances when they ask me to help them style and decorate their homes or style themselves for a particular occasion or trip.  It’s fun to see people get excited and open up to the beauty that’s in and around them.

                                               

  1. Who are you? List 5 nouns that best describe you.
Healer – Optimist – Entrepreneur – Traveler – Lover
  1. What have you done that you’re most proud of?
Professionally, I am most proud of being able to help empower people in
a variety of ways, through exercise and healing, or helping people to
“style” themselves or decorate their homes and to realize their visions.

Personally, I am most proud of my happy marriage.

3. If you could change one thing in your past, what would it be?

One thing I would change about my past is that I would have liked to continue pursuing music. 

Oh, and then there is the 80’s… 

     4. On a personal level, what drives you crazy? What gives you joy?

Procrastination drives me crazy.

Things that give my joy are singing, hearing purring cats, laughing
with my sister, watching people realize that they can do that, wear that,
say that, be that, and realize the potential in their lives. A good night’s
sleep in soft sheets.

5. Given no restrictions (i.e. money/physical capabilities) – what would you most like to do?

Have the ability to be in two places at once so I can do all of the things
I want to do, be in all of the places I want to be, which is everywhere! 
Travel without having to spend time in a car, train or plane.





3 comments:

  1. So glad to see someone do a piece on Bunny! She is a remarkable woman, and one of the hardest working and kindest hearted people I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wan't to get to know her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good window, if just a sliver, into both of you. Makes me appreciate the socks off of both ya. Thanks Rebecca for writing these.
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete