Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Matthew Nash - Challenging the Comfort Bubble

          I met Matthew Nash not long after he moved to Sequim and started working for the Sequim Gazette as a reporter. If I remember correctly, he was interviewing me about the release of my book of movie reviews, “Sofa Cinema: An Easy Guide to DVDs.” He was very shy, but easy to talk with and it wasn’t long before we were bantering about movie titles like two kids playing ping pong – a very fun time.

          It’s a tough time to be a print journalist, but he’s found his niche and I wish him well.

Matthew Nash

Growing up in Oregon, in and near Portland, I dreamed of playing professional basketball. Every night I’d have a tradition of shooting 100 free throws with my feet edged next to my parents’ garden. But reality hit in high school and I considered the military, the ministry, education and more before finding my newspaper niche in college.
I quickly became editor of the school newspaper and recruited a dedicated team. I went to work for a newspaper near my hometown before realizing my environment wasn’t ideal with moldy walls, an archaic computer with a green screen, a narcoleptic sports editor and an editor who said the F word more than I can count.

I’ve been in Sequim going on six years. I met my wife here and our son was born here.





C. Q&A
         
  1. Who are you? List 5 words that define you!

Husband – Dad – Geek – Dry – Observant


  1. What have you done that you’re most proud of?

Daily I challenge my comfort bubble. As someone who struggled with breaking my shell, journalism has transformed me. It’s led to a lot of good things I never could have imagined 

  1. If you could change one thing in your past, what would it be?
For differing reasons, I’ve gotten rid of a lot of good albums over the years. I’d keep them because many of them I’ve bought back over the years. I’d use that money to buy more music and go to concerts.

  1. On a personal level, what drives you crazy? What gives you joy?

I prefer people chewing with their mouths closed. I also like to recycle and turn the lights off. 

I’ve become a sucker for the show “Full House” as of late. With so much animated TV shows geared towards toy marketing, the Tanner family comedy is incredibly cheesy but mostly wholesome and appropriate for everyone. My wife and I knew we were hooked again when we laughed at three consecutive jokes on the show. Have mercy!

  1. Given no restrictions (i.e. money/physical capabilities) – what would you most like to do?    

I’d open a comic book store next to a Burgerville (Oregon/ WA burger chain). I like the idea of eating a burger and fries while reading on my own time.


Matthew & Son



You can reach Matthew at  mnash@sequimgazette.com 
And read his work at sequimgazette.com or through facebook.com/sequimgazette or twitter.com/sequimgazette


***

To follow “Taking the Plunge” go to:
                           Facebook:  Rebecca Redshaw-Writer

   A new profile is posted every Wednesday.  
Contact me if you'd like to recommend a person to Take the Plunge! 

   Share with Friends!

© Taking the Plunge  contact Rebecca Redshaw for permission to reuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment