Thursday, June 6, 2013

Heather Brewer – "Dream, Dream, Dream, Baby!"


Sometimes even casual meetings can leave a lasting impression. I met Heather Brewer years ago at a backyard barbeque where she grabbed her guitar and belted out Melissa Ethridge’s “Come To My Window” so powerfully, I kind of expected to turn around and see Melissa at the front door!
Phrases like “raw talent”, “lust for life”, and “bold troubadour” all apply to this talented musician. Living half the world away in Switzerland will not keep this woman from being heard. Remember her name and enjoy her song. [scroll down]

Heather Brewer

I was asked once “How do I define myself?” my immediate answer was, “Musician.” When I wake up in the morning I have music in my head, usually a ghost remnant of the dreams from the night before. When I go through my day everything I see, hear, interact with or observe filters through me like a frequency to my bones and creates a melody that I hear like a song from the radio in my mind. 

When I write it comes to me in a flash like a quickening and the song reveals itself in its entirety fully arranged and orchestrated and I try like hell to get it written down as fast as I can because it can disappear as quickly as it came with the slightest sound, movement or word.

I often write with my eyes closed and ear plugs in to try and avoid any outside stimulus. This can make me awkward at times for I will be sitting in a room filled with people and have a very intense look on my face and bobbing my head as I listen to the sounds inside of me. I feel them like they are coming from a large speaker that I’m sitting next to. This leads me to the belief that I am not a song creator I am a songwriter, I write the songs that I receive from something, somewhere else. Every time they come to me I leave this earth a little. I know it sounds strange, but that’s just me.
 
Heather?






1. Who are you? List 5 nouns that best describe you. 

Observant – Obsessive – Compassionate – Creative – Blessed

2. What have you done that you’re most proud of?
 
Taught myself to use Pro Tools in 24 straight hours. I just sat down with a manual and a bottle of Southern Comfort and wouldn’t leave until I recorded a whole song. I ended up recording 7, one of which I sold to Disney.

3. If you could change one thing in your past, what would it be?

I would have waited to cross the street with Rachel.

4. On a personal level, what drives you crazy? What gives you joy?

What drives me crazy is when I’m trying to collaborate with a singer and they describe what they want then shoot down everything I present and then finally we go back to the first idea and they love it.

What gives me joy is when my students start to progress and you can see the excitement in their eyes. That is the best feeling in the world.

5. Given no restrictions (i.e. money/physical capabilities) – what would you most like to do?

With no restrictions I would love to have a studio filled with amazing instruments and a SUPER CHARGED Mac. I would sit in there and finally write the musical I have always wanted to create. I have half of the songs in my mind and I would love to get them out and then find the others, arrange them and then produce the show. DREAM DREAM DREAM, baby!


Enjoy Heather's SHINE









No comments:

Post a Comment