Sunday, June 23, 2013

Alda Siebrands - Student of Life




        What is a student? Or better yet, what defines a student? From one of the myriad dictionaries available online the following: “A Student is a person engaged in study; one who is devoted to learning.”
        
        Meet Alda Siebrands, a product of Middle America and all its positive virtues. But she’s so much more. Alda’s thirst for knowledge, including the arts and wonders of nature, is constant. While others with her professional credentials might dominate a conversation regaling an audience with he  rescue adventures at sea or her  encounters as an attaché in the international world of diplomacy, Alda listens and learns.
         
        In a moment of peril, which heaven forbid I should ever encounter, there is no one I would rather have leading the way than Alda Siebrands, a leader, a humanitarian, a student. 



Alda Siebrands

Having lived and traveled as an adult in third world countries for years at a time, I know I am someone who has lived the ideal of what America can offer, something that most of the world’s citizens don’t have available.

I grew up poor (unaware of the poor part at the time) on a small Iowa farm. I went to public schools and received a tuition scholarship and a government loan that made college possible. I had my first full-time work experience in the Peace Corps in Costa Rica, traveled much of Latin America, and then made a career in the US Army and US Coast Guard. For most of my military career I was a helicopter pilot and flew in amazing places including South Korea, Australia, Antarctica, Venezuela, and, of course, all across the United States. What an opportunity.

Now retired, I live in a gorgeous place and enjoy fresh air and nature at its finest with my best friend and, thanks to a fair-minded citizenry, my same-sex spouse.

Sadly, I have observed America becoming more like many of the third world countries I traveled by lessening the contributions to the future for her poorer, less advantaged citizens. 


       
  1. Who are you? List 5 nouns that define you!
Spouse – Friend – Nature-Lover – Observer – Adventurer

  1. What have you done that you’re most proud of?
I have taken the positives and negatives that have come my way in life and used them all to make my life more interesting.

  1. If you could change one thing in your past, what would it be?
I would have been more thoughtful to people in need who have crossed my path in life. 

  1. On a personal level, what drives you crazy? What gives you joy?
I am disappointed that people only seem to see how things in life affect themselves, seldom others.

Joy comes throughout the year walking around our property, and on larger scale, the Olympic Peninsula where we live, observing Mother Nature relentlessly at work.

  1. Given no restrictions (i.e. money/physical capabilities) – what would you most like to do?    
I would like to be a philanthropist. Every time I hear or read a story of local needs, I would love to be able to open my checkbook and not think twice about providing funds not only to help close the gap where needed, but to  make a positive difference in someone’s life.




Footage of sea rescue.




No comments:

Post a Comment