Monday, September 30, 2013

Tom Nobili - Excited for the Future



Americans move – a lot. I’m a perfect example of this transient pattern of life; born in Pittsburgh, moved to Los Angeles, back to Pittsburgh, then to Palm Springs, and currently in Port Angeles, northwest of Seattle. In spite of all the packing and unpacking and enjoying each new environment, Pittsburgh is, and always will be, “home.”

So, I understand Tom’s affection for the one time steel city, draped in Black & Gold.

One of the joys of this time of life – Internet/Facebook/Skype – is that no matter how far away we are from one another in miles, we can keep in touch and re-kindle old friendships and initiate new ones.

Tom worked for me at WRS Motion Picture Laboratory in Pittsburgh a long time ago. I remember him as a fresh out of college student who had a strong work ethic and bright mind. As I read his responses to Taking the Plunge, I know he still maintains those qualities and is so much more. Meet Tom Nobili.


Thomas Nobili

          I was born in Donora, PA, a very small town in Southwestern PA. (population: 3000) 25 miles south of Pittsburgh. I am the oldest of three children, with a younger brother and sister.  Several famous people are from Donora, including baseball greats Ken Griffey and Hall of Famer Stan “The Man” Musial.  I am very proud of my roots there, and residing in such a humble town for the first 29 years of my life helped shape my personality and character into the person that I am today. I currently reside in Castaic, CA. with my wife, five year old son and 90 lb. “lap dog.”  I hope to teach many of the small town values to my son like my father did with me. 
          I graduated from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh in the early 90’s, majoring in Music and Video Business.  Soon after graduating, I accepted a position at WRS Motion Picture Lab in Pittsburgh, starting out doing film prep, advancing to film color timing, and eventually being promoted to senior color timer. In 1999, I accepted a position at Cinetech Lab in California, where I became a lead timer, restoring many A-title films from major studios with several legendary cinematographers and directors.
          A couple of years ago, Cinetech was bought by Deluxe. In October 2012, Deluxe consolidated our lab with their Hollywood lab. I was one of three Cinetech production employees chosen to relocate to Hollywood, where I set up their restoration department (it has pretty much shut down already since I left).  My color timing career ended in February, just short of twenty years in the business.  Because technology has changed so much going from film to digital, my expertise is rarely needed. The entire film business is now doing more with less people, so instead of finding another job in the industry that would most likely be temporary, I decided to go back to college, brush up on my skills, and reinvent myself.
I will complete my courses by the end of the spring, majoring in Graphic Design, Web Design, and E-Commerce. I am excited about what opportunities my new career will offer me, and I hope to freelance or start my own business so I can work from anywhere. Despite my recent setbacks, I am very excited about what the future holds for me and my family.

                                  
 
Q&A
         
  1. Who are you? List 5 nouns that define you!
Father – Husband – Friend – Student – Steeler Fan

  1. What have you done that you’re most proud of?
Even though I have accomplished many things professionally, I have never felt as proud as I did when I became a father. My son means everything to me and he makes me proud every day.

  1. If you could change one thing in your past, what would it be?
This is a difficult question. I always look at everything that has happened in my life (good and bad) as a learning experience and try not to have any regrets – except one thing. Six and a half years ago, my wife and I gave birth to a baby girl that died two hours after being born. She was very premature and she didn’t make it. (My wife had complications and they had to deliver quickly). Obviously, if I could change the past, it would be for that not to have happened. Other than this one tragedy, I wouldn’t change a thing.

  1. On a personal level, what drives you crazy? What gives you joy?
Intolerant people drive me crazy! We are all human beings who are all unique and special in some way. Those who don’t respect or accept that have no place in my life. Also Cleveland Brown fans drive me crazy! 

My family and friends give me joy.

  1. Given no restrictions (i.e. money/physical capabilities) – what would you most like to do?
I would love to travel the world in as much time as needed to see it all. I would also like to visit every NFL stadium for a game (except Cleveland).

 
Michael and "lap dog"





Tough year to be a Steeler fan - except for the faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment