Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Stacy Lawson - A Woman with a Different View of the World

Ever meet someone and just know either 1. you’ve met them in a past life or 2. you’re going to be good friends? One reason I enjoy not only writing but reading my blog, “Taking the Plunge”, is learning more about people – people I thought I knew and people I’d like to know even better.
Stacy Lawson and I met a few weeks ago in the Artist Trust EDGE Grant Program for Literary Artists. I rarely thrust my work upon strangers (or for that matter, friends) and yet before the end of the first weekend I handed Stacy four pages and asked her to read them.
The jury’s still out for me in regards to “past lives”, but I’m pretty certain Stacy and I are going to be good friends. 
I hope you enjoy getting to know this interesting, smart, funny woman as much I do.

Stacy Lawson

I am a writer, yoga instructor/owner of Red Square Yoga, and a public school advocate. 
My work has appeared in Under the Sun, Drash Northwest Mosaic, r.kv.r.y quarterly literary journal, Raven Chronicles, and Sunday Ink: Works by the Uptown Writers. I live in Seattle with my husband, two sons, and my ill-mannered dog, Jasper.
I write to find meaning, to question myself, to question others, to question beliefs held too firmly. I write to question fears and to unravel insecurities that can compress into rock-solid absolutes.
I write to add breath and humor to suffocating arguments. I write to organize my thoughts, to formulate credible arguments and to find the right words to express myself.
I write to have a long sustained dialogue with the Self, an uninterrupted one-on-one, a spiritual moment not dependent on any God, a synagogue, a guru, a virgin birth, or other convention.

One View


1. Who are you? List 5 nouns that define you!

Curious – Electric – Eclectic – Pragmatic – Funny

2. What have you done that you’re most proud of?

I am most proud of my relationships with my husband, kids, parents, sibs, and friends.  
First my relationship with my husband (who is really too good for me in many many ways) has been the major work in this life.  We have been together for 27 years and have had our ups and downs, but we've really negotiated the big waves.  We've had hard days, months, and years, but we've kept at it.  Through working on this relationship, I have learned a lot about all relationships and how to move more graciously in the world.  

I am proud of my relationship with my two sons.  Daniel is 15, William is 11 (names altered to protect the innocent). I've worked hard to figure out how to negotiate the role of parent. I think deeply about parenting.  What is it that I/we want for the boys? How can I prepare them for the world to come?  How much should I protect them from the world out there?  How can I help them to own their lives now and in the future, own their choices, and live with the consequences. I try to carefully consider when I need to step in and when I need to stand aside. 

Finally, I am proud of my relationships with my family and friends. The word yoga comes from the Sanskrit word yuj which means to unite, to meet, to commune, to consummate. My relationships are part of my yoga practice.

Disclaimer:  Not all of my relationships are perfect or near perfect. (Just ask around.) But, for the most part, I'm comfortable with where things stand.  I don't believe that family members are required to get along by virtue of sharing blood or legal arrangements. To some degree, we are all broken, and we look for relationships with people who don't hurt us more or challenge us in unhelpful ways.
This makes sense to me.  

 3. If you could change one thing in your past, what would it be?  

I would have given more money to Janey when she came to me after her husband died. She subsequently died shortly after. She was in need. But, I was afraid of getting tied into supporting her and I wasn't ready to negotiate that. 

4. On a personal level, what drives you crazy? What gives you joy?

Entitlement drives me crazy (my own included).
I think there are some basic misunderstandings that lead to bad behavior. There really is no such thing as innate equality except as an idea. After conception, we have a placement in the world that scripts us.

Not all people are born with the same health, looks, opportunities, resources, and access. Many poor people work very hard, and it never amounts to anything. Many wealthy people work very hard, but once you have money, it's easier to make more money. Many wealthy people and many poor people don't work hard at all. Fair doesn't really exist in the bigger universe.

So, I believe we need a safety net that guarantees all a basic level of support that comes from taxation. I'm not afraid of taxes. Let's get rid of the loopholes. I don't believe that people aim to go on welfare.  I believe that people lack opportunities, exposure, role models, money, etc. 

I find joy in music, dancing, knitting, reading, writing, sleeping, walking, chocolate, hiking, kayaking, etc...

5. Given no restrictions (i.e. money/physical capabilities) – what would you most like to do?      

Mostly I want to travel, and I do travel quite a bit. I'd love to live somewhere else for even 3 months before my kids leave home. I want to navigate the unknown together and to explore.


I want to be out of my element.  





Lots of wonderful views!

To learn even more about Stacy:




And from R2: 

Thanks for reading and by all means share this site with friends. Email me if you know of someone you find fascinating that would like to be profiled! 

No comments:

Post a Comment