Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Craig Prater Makes Everyone Feel Special




A chance meeting at a Women in Film luncheon – Craig Prater and I exchanged business cards not knowing we would become lifelong friends. In addition to being handsome and charming, Craig has organizational skills that are off the chart and a way of making everyone he meets feel special. I suppose that’s why his answers don't surprise me.

As his work as Executive Director of the Bangkok Film Festival was winding down after months of preparation, Craig invited me to dinner in the private dining room at the top of the Shangri-la Hotel. I suppose the food and wine were delicious, but his company? Flawless. Whether eating salads at a small eatery in Palm Springs or Chateaubriand high above the Chao Phraya River, Craig Prater charms.

Craig Prater

In one respect my life is very normal but in another respect, there is nothing normal about it.

I had a friend tell me once that I would be as comfortable having tea with the Queen of England as I would be having a beer with a drunk on the street. That’s probably true because both would be extremely interesting to me.

From being raised on a farm where my first job was the removal of yellow thistles out of a corn field to working in my adult life with some of the world’s most famous celebrities and foreign governments, I continue to wonder what is going to happen tomorrow. Of course, the latter work is better. 

If I had a crystal ball to see the future, would I?  Absolutely!  I want to make certain I’m paying attention when it happens. I sometimes allow things to pass me by when I should have been enjoying it at the time.

 
Craig at Bangkok banquet with "hip" friend







    1. Who are you? List 5 nouns that define you.

    Worker – Traveler – Friend – Partner - Leader

    1. What have you done that you’re most proud of?

    Worked with people much smarter than me. I always wanted to excel at everything I did. With a constant feeling that I didn’t have the best ways of doing or knowing things, I always surrounded myself with smarter, more talented people. That includes wise, educated people, and also students. 

    To this day, I continue to enjoy younger people.  Maybe they don’t have wisdom or experience as a result of years, but their ideas, lack of concern for what they say, how they say it and their basic naïveté are a great enjoyment for me.

    3. If you could change one thing in your past, what would it be?

    Plan better for retirement.  I always thought I was young and had plenty of time.  Where did the years go? Other than that, I have no complaints and probably would not change anything.

    1. On a personal/client level, what drives you crazy? What gives you joy?

    Bigots.  Hateful bigots.  People with prejudices which are based on nothing but their own ignorance.  I have no patience with people who form opinions based on people’s religion, ethnic backgrounds, language, culture or economic levels. 

    Greatest joy?  My greatest joy is spending time with my partner of 45 years.

    1. Given no restrictions (i.e. money/physical capabilities) – what would you most like to do? 

    Work with legal research teams to help get people out of prisons who have been wrongly convicted.
     


1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Rebecca, for your intimate thoughts.
    I am most moved by your interest in getting people out of prisons who have been wrongly convicted. I share the concerns for lives wasted behind bars when innocence could not be proved. Or, better said, when due process failed them.

    ReplyDelete