Sunday, April 28, 2013

Carla Hale – Fighting for Her Right to Teach




There’s the concept of “taking the plunge” and then there’s the reality of being pushed into the deep end. I have never met Carla Hale, I’ve never talked to her, and except for a blip on the MSN.com site would probably not be writing this entry. Ms Hale is kind of busy right now. She recently buried her mother, her daughter will soon graduate from university, and, oh, yes, she lost her position as a physical education teacher in a Catholic school in Ohio.

In writing her mother’s obituary, Carla included the name of her life partner, Julie. Someone notified the school, and along with one letter of complaint from a parent, the school dismissed her after 19 years on staff.

I would not presume to bother Carla with answering 5 questions while she fights for her professional life and her personal integrity, but I will write for her because this forum, no matter how large or small, offers a place for voices to be heard and on occasion, rare occasion, the voice will be mine.

So, I'll postpone the responses of TAKING THE PLUNGE profiles from an artist, an author, a professor, a filmmaker, and a musician (all individuals willing to contribute here). I'm sure they'll understand. I will answer how I imagine a dedicated teacher like Carla Hale would respond.

 
Carla Hale



    
  1. Who are you? List 5 nouns that define you!
 Daughter – Teacher – Mother – Partner - Friend

  1. What have you done that you’re most proud of?
Teaching is all I’ve ever wanted to do, helping students become stronger not only through physical education, but through being good people.

  1. If you could change one thing in your past, what would it be?
I don’t find much point in living in the past. We all learn from our acts. If mistakes are made, learn from them.

  1. On a personal/client level, what drives you crazy? What gives you joy?
Last week, my answer may have been different. Today I think hypocrisy is at the top of the list.
        
                   Greatest joy? Walking my dog. Spending time with people I love.

  1. Given no restrictions (i.e. money/physical capabilities) – what would you most like to do?    
 Teach.
 


[The answers Above are mine, not Carla’s, but I hope I’ve done her justice. Maybe when things calm down, I can actually share her voice at Taking the Plunge.] 



No comments:

Post a Comment