Sunday, May 5, 2013

Robert Croan: Teacher - Mentor - Friend



People change and I suppose that’s one of the draws to attending family or class reunions. Over the years, I’ve managed to stay in touch with the people who meant most to me without having to lose thirty pounds or go under the plastic surgeon’s scalpel.

When I met Robert Croan at Duquesne University our relationship was teacher/student, but he has become one of those treasured friends I can call after months, or even years, of not being in touch and pick up as if it were yesterday.

That’s our personal connection.

Professionally? After leaving the film business, Robert asked me to be his stringer for the Arts & Entertainment section of the Post-Gazette. He was fearless as a critic, honest to a fault, demanding the best from a performer or performance, and often times taking the “heat” from letters to the editor.

I had no formal training as a journalist, but in the next few months I learned more about critiquing from Robert than most people learn in a lifetime.

Dr. Robert Croan – a fascinating fellow and great friend who never hesitates to “take the plunge.”  

Robert Croan


Robert Croan

There are two aspects of my life that I consider of interest to the world at large: my work in music (mainly opera, my passionate interest) as singer, teacher and critic; and my success in life as a proud, unapologetic gay man in times when being gay was not as fashionable nor as widely accepted as it is today.

I was graduated in music from Columbia and Boston Universities, and studied singing with opera greats Aksel Schiotz, Claudia Pinza and Elisabeth Schwarzkopf.

I came to Pittsburgh to teach at Duquesne University (where Rebecca Redshaw was one of my best graduate assistants), but stopped singing in public when I was appointed music critic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

I retired from both positions at the end of 1999, but have continued to write and teach insofar as my travel schedule allows. I now spend most of my time in Pittsburgh and Ft. Lauderdale, and on cruise ships.

  1. Who are you? List 5 nouns that best describe you.
Humanist – Liberal – Opera expert – Partner – Singer – Writer
          [I know this is six nouns, but cut me a little slack.]
  
    2. What have you done that you’re most proud of?
Personally, I have maintained a loving relationship of 45 years with my wonderful partner, Michael Feldman.

Professionally, I achieved a high level in each field I worked in: was graduated cum laude from Columbia University, completed a Ph.D. at Boston University, was full professor and chair of voice/opera department at Duquesne University, music critic for a major daily newspaper (Post-Gazette), president of the Music Critics Association of North America.

   3. If you could change one thing in your past, what would it be?

Personally, I would have avoided some moments that hurt the people I loved.

Professionally, I would have pursued more aggressively and seriously a performing and/or administrative career in opera.

   4. On a personal level, what drives you crazy? What gives you joy?

Drives me crazy: bad singing, religions (all of them – I can’t understand how intelligent, educated people can believe in the supernatural), Republicans.
    
Gives me joy: opera (especially Mozart’s Don Giovanni, which I consider the greatest thing ever); singing (my own singing, when I was younger, but also listening to great singers and training young performers); cruise ship travel; martinis (ideally four parts Tanqueray gin to one part French dry vermouth, on the rocks); cooking for my friends (and eating in good French restaurants); cats (although now that we travel we no longer have any of our own); being with my partner, Michael.

   5. Given no restrictions (i.e. money/physical capabilities) – what would you most like to do?

Run an opera company; spend my free time on cruise ships; live in New York, Berlin, or Copenhagen; legally marry Michael. 

Michael & Robert   45 Years


No comments:

Post a Comment