Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Dennis Bensie - "The Anti-Writer's Writer"


          After sitting in a classroom every Saturday for the last month and a half, Dennis Bensie and I decided to exchange books we had written. This can be a risky business. I like Dennis. What if I hated his book? What if I couldn’t relate or got bored? Phew. Not only did none of those things happen – I love his book!
          “One Gay American” is his memoir told with candor and humor. Who knew that a book about a young boy growing up in the Midwest would read like a mystery/page-turner/novel. The only reason I put it down was to write this blog intro.

Dennis Bensie

I don’t think that I am an ordinary writer. I never had a class or been in any writing groups.
I’m not even a well-read writer and can barely name my favorite authors or books. I probably do everything “wrong” if a scholar or teacher of writing had a look at my process and style.
I sometimes think of myself as “the anti-writer’s writer” because I never learned any of the rules …and I think that is what I love about my writing. Things just fall out of me onto the page and I don’t always know where they came from.
People read what I write and they seem to respond heavily to it. Isn’t that the point? To make a reader keep reading? Even if it isn’t fancy and doesn’t stay within the rules.






1. Who are you? List 5 words that define you!

Artist – Paraphiliac – Homosexual – Friend – Human

2. What have you done that you’re most proud of?

My first memoir, SHORN: TOYS TO MEN was described by a reviewer as “…a confession and a gift.” I consider that a huge compliment. I had suffered my whole life in secret with undiagnosed and untreated mental illness. I am a paraphiliac and that led me down a very dark path from childhood well in to my thirties.

No one had ever written a book like SHORN. I needed to read a book like that when I was growing up but it didn’t exist. I decided to write it myself. I told my story to help others who struggle with their story.

SHORN: TOYS TO MEN was adapted by Seattle playwright Dustin Engstrom as THE CUT and produced by Open Circle Theater in 2011. In 2013, the book was adapted into a short underground film entitled NO LOVE LOST by a Chicago filmmaker.

3. If you could change one thing in your past, what would it be?

I would have gotten organized and started a writing career sooner.

4. On a personal level, what drives you crazy? What gives you joy?

Ignorant people make me nuts. Knowing I get to come home to my three sweet dogs gives me joy (and keeps me from hurting the ignorant people)
  
5. Given no restrictions (i.e. money/physical capabilities) – what would you most like to do?

I would produce art. Not in any one discipline, just anything and everything that inspires me. It would be cool to hand pick different artists and works of art and build them up to their fullest potential.


SHORN:TOYS TO MEN was adapted by Seattle playwright Dustin Engstrom
as THE CUT and produced by Open Circle Theater in 2011.
In 2013, the book was adapted into a short underground film.





You can learn more about Dennis and his work and contact him at:

       @dennisdodie


To follow “Taking the Plunge” go to:
                           Facebook:  Rebecca Redshaw-Writer

   A new profile is posted every Wednesday.  
Contact me if you'd like to recommend a person to Take the Plunge! 

   Share with Friends!

© Taking the Plunge  contact Rebecca Redshaw for permission to reuse.




No comments:

Post a Comment