Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Ingrid Ricks - Pursuing Her Dream

          The word that comes to mind when I hear author Ingrid Rick’s name mentioned is “energy.” I recently heard her talk at the end of a long day of lectures. She was the last speaker of the day and I had just glanced at my watch to make the decision to slip out quietly and catch the next ferry home or give her a few minutes to talk and then make my decision.
          I am so glad I stayed! Ingrid not only exudes enthusiasm for her passion of writing, she is a wealth of information about the current world of publishing.

          Later that evening, after the requisite Seattle ferry ride and subsequent long drive home, I loaded her memoir, “Hippie Boy” onto my Kindle and realized she is the total package; an author and a marketer who wastes no time. She inspires young and old, experienced writers and novices. Ingrid's a dreamer who works hard to make dreams come true.    

Ingrid Ricks

My new favorite quote is “The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers. But above all, the world needs dreamers who do.” ~ Sarah Ban Breathnach

That really sums up my philosophy on life. Like so many people I know, I had a hard time giving myself permission to pursue my dream—which for me was to write my memoir, Hippie Boy and carve out a living as an author.
It took me along time to GO FOR IT, but when I did, everything changed for me and it opened up doors and opportunities I couldn’t have imagined.
What I’ve learned is that dreaming big is only one part of the equation. You’ve got to put in the work required to turn that dream into reality. When you do, magic happens.




1. Who are you? List 5 words that define you!

Determined – Positive – Storyteller – Eye Health Warrior – Friend/Mom
                           (I know.that’s six.)

2.      What have you done that you’re most proud of?

I co-founded www.weareabsolutelynotokay.org, a program that uses my coming-of-age memoir, Hippie Boy, as a guide to help teenagers find their voice and power by writing and publishing their stories.

I’ve also started a blog called www.Determinedtosee.com that gives hope to people struggling with blinding eye diseases and encourages them to make diet and lifestyle changes that can benefit their eye health.

3.      If you could change one thing in your past, what would it be?

I would have eaten a more healthy diet.

4.      On a personal level, what drives you crazy? What gives you joy?

Negative people drive me crazy. I can’t stand it when people say “no” implying that something can't be done.

So many things give me joy: music, friends, my daughters, my husband, long beach walks, my daily eight-ounce hemp mocha, writing….to name a few.

5.      Given no restrictions (i.e. money/physical capabilities) – what would you most like to do?

I would do exactly what I’m doing now: writing books, helping teenagers to claim their voice and power through personal storytelling, and continuing on my quest to save my eyesight (I suffer from RP, a degenerative eye disease), and motivating others to take charge of their eye health.

But I would also DEFINITELY travel more.






Connect with Ingrid



To follow “Taking the Plunge” go to:
                           Facebook:  Rebecca Redshaw-Writer

   A new profile is posted every Wednesday.  
Contact me if you'd like to recommend a person to Take the Plunge! 

   Share with Friends!

© Taking the Plunge contact Rebecca Redshaw for permission to reuse.



No comments:

Post a Comment