Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Gary Newman - Taking the Poet's Path

          Vocations often have stereotypes attached that we hope hold true; we want our nurses to be caring, our postmen to be reliable, our politicians honest (OK, I know that’s a stretch, but we do). Being a poet is more a calling than a career. But a poet’s contribution is not about worldly things in our everyday lives. A poet’s contribution is all about “worldly” things, in the truest sense of the word.
          Gary Newman is an introspective man, an observer, an explorer of words, a poet.
         
Gary Newman


I am a poet, essayist and journalist.
I have won numerous awards for my journalism including three first place awards for best sports story in the Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association annual contest and a first in the best business story category as well as numerous other second and third place awards for writing and photography.
As a journalist I came to question the trajectory of my own career and I realized I originally set out to be a poet. I decided to return to that original pure impulse.
I write to define the world I love. I mean the whole earth, but especially the natural world, landscape, animals, the world of science and ideas.
But mostly I write because I love the sound, rhythm and flow of words.





1. List five words that define you.

Optimist – Outdoorsman – Inquisitive – Proactive – Determined

2. What have you done that you are most proud of?

I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Paraguay in 1969-70. I am most proud of learning Spanish and Guarani and getting to know men and women of a different culture.
I continued that habit when I was stationed in Berlin as a soldier. I learned a fair amount of German.

3. If you could change one thing in your past, what would it be?

I’ve always been disappointed that I didn’t finish learning German. And I’m disappointed that I have let my Spanish skills get rusty. Though I work on that.

4. On a personal level, what drives you crazy? What gives you joy?

Important people, a little humility should go before the hubris.
I’ve enjoyed climbing and hiking in different mountain ranges, but especially the Cascades. I also love to ride a bicycle.

5. Given no restrictions (i.e. money/physical capabilities) – what would you most like to do?

I would go vagabonding over the earth. South America, Africa, Asia, Russia. I’d write, take photos, learn languages and show people why they should love this planet and each other.




Tired after four days hiking in the Goat Rocks Wilderness.
               Mt. Rainier and the Pacific Crest Trail in the background




Gary and your blogger celebrating Artist Trust friendships!




Link for Gary:



 To follow “Taking the Plunge” go to:
                           Facebook:  Rebecca Redshaw-Writer

   A new profile is posted every Wednesday.  
Contact me if you'd like to recommend a person to Take the Plunge! 

   Share with Friends!

© Taking the Plunge  contact Rebecca Redshaw for permission to reuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment