Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Karen Hanan - Passion for the Arts

        
          People bond over a variety of interests; a favorite sports team, a love of gardening, a hometown memory. Karen Hanan and I bonded over a cup of tea. Actually, many, many cups of tea – mine black, hers with a dash of milk.
          Whether talking about the arts and artists close to our hearts or international headliners, there was never a lull in conversation as we solved the problems of the world in my living room at tea time.
          A woman with a passion to get things done, that one hour every week or so, was probably one of the few times during the week, Karen (English pronunciation, accent on the first syllable/soft “r”) sat still!
          She has a great zest for life, love of music, passion for the arts, and an admitted addiction to a perfectly brewed cup of tea.   

Karen Hanan

I was appointed Executive Director of ArtsWA by Governor Jay Inslee effective March 1, 2014. ArtsWA is the Washington State Arts Commission, a state government agency. ArtsWA speaks up for the public value of the arts, builds leadership in and for the arts, strengthens arts education in our public schools, documents the impact of the arts on our communities and in peoples’ lives, and shares the findings, builds participation in the arts, and acquires and cares for artwork in the State Art Collection, sited at K-12 public schools, colleges, universities, and state agencies.
Prior to my position with ArtsWA, I served as Executive Director of Arts Northwest, the non-profit, regional performing arts service organization. Before that, I was the founder and Executive Director of the Juan de Fuca Festival of the Arts in Port Angeles, WA.



         
  1. Who are you? List 5 words that define you! 
Energetic – Empathetic – Compassionate – Curious – Full-speed-ahead!

  1. What have you done that you’re most proud of? 
Envisioned, birthed, and helped grow the Olympic Peninsula’s Juan de Fuca Festival of the Arts, and then handed it over to a community that values it to this day.

Also, I have a family I adore and a circle of friends I treasure. I am proud and so happy to be in their collective embrace.

  1. If you could change one thing in your past, what would it be? 
Growing up is about learning to be wiser, more complete, a better person. Along that path, you must sometimes trip and fall and sometimes inflict damage on others as part of that process. It can’t be helped, but I am sorry for anyone I hurt along the way – sometimes inadvertently, sometimes as a result of the ignorance of youth.

  1. On a personal level, what drives you crazy? What gives you joy? 
I am driven crazy by mean spirited people who go through life without thought for the well being of the people and creatures around them.

I get joy from the people I love and care about. I find joy in an uncomplicated walk in the woods in the company of our chocolate lab. I get endless joy from the flowers and fruits of our “English garden”.

  1. Given no restrictions (i.e. money/physical capabilities) – what would you most like to do? 
I would like to spend more time in Europe, taking precious moments with family that I value and miss so much. I love where I find myself; my work, my family, my friends, my surroundings, but I miss those not nearby but still fundamental to my heart.        


Enjoying the breeze off the coast of Newfoundland.


Karen with Rory Kennedy

Favorite Pastime - Hiking with her sister, Diedre




To follow “Taking the Plunge” go to:
                           Facebook:  Rebecca Redshaw-Writer

   A new profile is posted every Wednesday.  
Contact me if you'd like to recommend a person to Take the Plunge! 

   Share with Friends!

© Taking the Plunge. Contact Rebecca Redshaw for permission to reuse.








No comments:

Post a Comment